Now that you have decided what property to buy and before you pay any reserve deposits, it is the right time for finding independent legal advice.
Normally, real estate agents offer their own legal advice, but it is important to find someone who will be on your side.
Probably you will not have any trouble and the real estate agent will tell you the truth about the property, but it is better to be cautious and try to avoid any problems in the future, than solving them once you have bought the property.
We don’t want to scare you but in Spain, especially in coastal areas and in the countryside, there have been many properties built illegally (without licenses) and many buyers found about that once they bought the property. One of the main problems of buying an illegal property is that the water and electricity company might not be able to supply your house with water and electricity; this is why we advise you to be careful with that.
Our property purchase service offers:
- Direct contact with the real estate agent
- Checking if the property is legal, its ownership and that planning permits are in order
- Making sure that there are no tenants
- Checking if there are mortgages, seizures or charges against the property
- Checking that there are no unpaid taxes
- Checking that all bills for utilities have been paid for the last few years
- Drawing up, revising and signing the reserve contract
- Finding a Notary office for signing the purchase Deeds (escritura de compraventa)
- Accompanying you to the Notary with a certified translator for signing the Deeds (escritura de compraventa) or signing the Deeds on your behalf with a power of attorney
- Ensuring that taxes are properly paid
- Assisting you on how to connect utilities in your new property
- Being your legal advisor during the whole purchase process